Middle School Youth Social Skills
WINTER 2021- A 6-week VIRTUAL offering of LifeSkills Training runs Feb 17- March 24, Wednesday afternoons from 5:55- 7 PM. REGISTER HERE.
Formed Families Forward is pleased to offer a free series of LifeSkills Training for middle school-age students who live in Fairfax County and cities of Fairfax and Falls Church. This program is free of charge and participating youth can earn prizes and gift cards for regularly attending!
Email us at info@FormedFamiliesForward.org if you might be interested in a class or if you have a venue (after school program; place of worship; youth club, etc. ) and would like us to deliver the program.
The LifeSkills Training curriculum is a proven, evidence-based program designed to promote health and personal development. Topics include:
- Self-image and self-improvement
- Making decisions
- Myths and realities about smoking, alcohol, prescription drugs, and marijuana
- Coping with anxiety
- Coping with anger
- Communication skills
- Social skills
- Resolving conflicts
Sessions are facilitated by two or three adult leaders, for whom background checks have been completed and approved by Fairfax County. All facilitators have bachelors or graduate degrees and are skilled in adapting and modifying content and activities for youth who may have exceptional needs.
Sessions are about 45 minutes and typically delivered once a week for 12 weeks, but can be customized for the needs of your setting and population.
Some of the research supporting the program:
- A Competent Enhancement Approach to Tobacco, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention
- Affective Self-Regulation Trajectories during Secondary Schools Predict Substance Use (why teaching self-regulation is important)
- Prevention of Substance Abuse using LifeSkills Training
- LifeSkills Training is on the National Registry of Evidence Based Programs and Practices from the US Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
This program is offered with the generous support of Fairfax County’s Neighborhood and Community Services Prevention Unit.
Contact Formed Families Forward to schedule a conversation about supporting middle school-age youth in your school, organization, club or other group.