Learning Your Way online courses
Learning Your Way is Formed Families Forward’s free online learning portal for parents, caregivers, youth and professionals. Participants enroll and can access course on-demand, learning at their own pace. Registration for Fall 2022 access to Learning Your Way is open August 1 through November 15. 2022. Access for those who registered for our Fall 2022 offerings is available through December 31.
As of Fall 2022, Learning Your Way includes four Courses.
Initially offered in 2021, our Special Education 101 course is designed to introduce foster and adoptive parents and kinship caregivers to key phases of the Special Education Cycle.
- Lesson 1 explains the Referral, Evaluation, and Eligibility process and includes a case study.
- Lesson 2 describes the Individualized Educational Program and provides an activity on writing SMART goals.
- Lesson 3 gives guidance on post-secondary transition and life after high school.
- Lesson 4 offers strategies for monitoring instruction and implementation of the IEP, including specific information about high leverage academic practices that may be used by the schools.
Other courses include Constructive Communication and Collaboration:
- Lesson 1 provides an overview of basic communication skills.
- Lesson 2 looks at the process of collaborative problem solving.
- Lesson 3 examines ways to tell your story and elevate the family voice.
- Lesson 1 defines trauma and covers basic concepts relating to trauma.
- Lesson 2 describes trauma’s impact on the brain.
- Lesson 3 gives strategies for boosting resiliency in children and youth.
- Lesson 1 offers an introduction and informal processes.
- Lesson 2 covers mediation.
- Lesson 3 addresses written State complaints.
- Lesson 4 reviews due process hearings.
Learning Your Way is open for Fall and Spring Sessions. Registration opens 8/1 for Fall session and 2/1 for Spring session.