Learning Your Way is Formed Families Forward’s free online learning portal for parents, caregivers, youth and professionals. Participants enroll and can access course on-demand, learning at their own pace. Registration for Fall 2023 access to Learning Your Way is open August through December 24, 2023. Access to the modules runs mid-August through December 31, 2023.
As of Fall 2023, Learning Your Way includes six Courses.
Initially offered in 2021, our Special Education 101 course is designed to introduce foster and adoptive parents and kinship caregivers to key phases of the special education cycle.
- Lesson 1 explains the Referral, Evaluation, and Eligibility process and includes a case study.
- Lesson 2 describes the Individualized Educational Program and provides an activity on writing SMART goals.
- Lesson 3 gives guidance on post-secondary transition and life after high school.
- Lesson 4 offers strategies for monitoring instruction and implementation of the IEP, including specific information about high leverage academic practices that may be used by the schools.
Other courses include Constructive Communication and Collaboration:
- Lesson 1 provides an overview of basic communication skills.
- Lesson 2 looks at the process of collaborative problem solving.
- Lesson 3 examines ways to tell your story and elevate the family voice.
- Lesson 1 defines trauma and covers basic concepts relating to trauma.
- Lesson 2 describes trauma’s impact on the brain.
- Lesson 3 gives strategies for boosting resiliency in children and youth.
- Lesson 1 offers an introduction and informal processes.
- Lesson 2 covers mediation.
- Lesson 3 addresses written State complaints.
- Lesson 4 reviews due process hearings.
- Lesson 1 provides an introduction to families led by kinship caregivers (extended family or close family friends).
- Lesson 2 reviews available supports for kinship families.
- Lesson 3 details educational considerations for kinship families raising children and youth with special needs.
Other Health Impairments:
- Lesson 1 provides an overview of the Other Health Impairement category of child and youth eligibility for special education and related services.
- Lesson 2 examines attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as a condition.
- Lesson 3 examines fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD) and other conditions related to prenatal exposures to alcohol and drugs.
Learning Your Way is open for Fall and Spring Sessions. Registration opens 8/1 for Fall session and 2/1 for Spring session.
REGISTER for Fall 2023 access HERE.
FLYER for Fall 2023 HERE.