CONSULTATION AND SUPPORT
Formed Families Forward provides consultation and support to families and agency personnel to help them meet the special education needs of their children and youth. Short-term phone and in-person consultations are available at no cost to adoptive, foster and kinship families and to child welfare and education professionals in northern Virginia. We offer resource navigation, providing linkages to other agencies and organizations.
Formed Families Forward also offers education resources including fact sheets and topical resource webpages designed specifically for foster, adoptive and kinship families. Our annually updated Northern Virginia Formed Families Resource Directory is an online guide with links to hundreds of agencies, organizations, providers and other resources serving foster, adoptive and kinship families raising children and youth with special needs.
Throughout the year, Formed Families Forward offers training on a variety of education, disability, mental health, and other topics of relevance to foster, adoptive and kinship families. See our events listing on our home page for upcoming events. Upon request, we also provide customized trainings for families and professionals at no cost to the hosting agency or organization. Training topics include:
- Special education overview
- Understanding disabilities and disorders
- Strengthening communication between school and home
- Resolving disputes with agency personnel
- Use of positive behavioral supports at home and at school
- Legal standing of foster parents and kinship caregivers
- Being effective in individualized education program (IEP) and evaluation meetings.
- Understanding childhood trauma and traumatic stress and their impact at home and school
- Addressing trauma and related behaviors at home and school
PEER SUPPORT GROUPS
Formed Families Forward offers twice-monthly peer support groups for youth and young adults ages 14-22 and for parents/caregivers during the academic year. Learn more about our Stronger Together peer support groups HERE.