Fact Sheet on Recognizing Trauma
June 01, 2017
What is Trauma?
Trauma is a deeply distressing or disturbing experience that may overwhelm an individual’s ability to cope.
Potentially traumatic events may include:
- Abuse (physical, sexual or emotional)
- Effects of poverty (homelessness, food insecurity)
- Witnessing domestic violence/abuse
- Separation from a loved one
- War zone or refugee experience
- Natural or man-made disaster
Fact Sheet on Recognizing Trauma from SCAN of Northern Virginia