Respite to Recharge program
Are you a kinship (non-parent relative) caregiver feeling overwhelmed by child rearing responsibilities due to school, daycare and summer camp closures? Get a well-deserved parenting break by joining the Respite to Recharge program.
Low income Fairfax County residents (incomes at 300% of poverty or less), including those that reside in Falls Church and Fairfax City, are eligible to apply.
- Receive respite services for 10 hours/week, for 6 to 8 weeks.
- Work schedule will be determined by you and the respite provider(s) you choose.
- You are encouraged to locate their own respite provider via family, friends or the community; however, a provider list is available through Respite to Recharge.
- Background checks will be conducted on all respite providers.
- Providers must be 18 years of age or older.
- You will need to work with respite providers to take personal health precautions for everyone’s safety.
If you are a kinship caregiver, living in Fairfax County, or the cities of Fairfax or Falls Church:
- Step 1. Complete the kin caregiver interest form HERE.
- Step 2. Formed Families Forward (FFF) will contact you within a couple days to review your application.
- Step 3. Find a Provider. Once approved, you can find and make arrangements with a respite Provider. If you have a neighbor, friend or relative who is willing to provide paid respite, have them apply to be a Provider. They will need to pass a background check, paid for by FFF. They will also need to be 18 years of age or older.
FFF can give you a list of background-checked Providers. You will have to work directly with a Provider to set a schedule for respite care. The Provider can only be paid up for up to 10 hours a week. Respite families can receive up to 8 weeks of respite services.
- Step 4. Every two weeks, approve the Provider’s hours worked so FFF can pay them.
If you would like to be a respite Provider:
- Step 1. Complete the Provider application HERE.
- Step 2. Within 2 days, you will receive an email from SecureSearch to start your background check. SecureSearch will complete the check and report back to FFF.
- Step 3. FFF will inform you of the result of the search and if you will be added to the Provider list. You must complete a direct deposit and an IRS W9 form before you can be added to the list. A timesheet will be emailed to you. You must use the approved timesheet in order to be paid.
- Step 4. Once on the list, kin caregivers will contact you. If you are selected by a caregiver, the caregiver and you will negotiate where and when the respite services will be provided. Both parties need to follow health and safety precautions.
Providers can be paid $18 per hour ($2 per hour additional for additional children) for up to 10 hours a week, for up to 8 weeks.
- Step 5. Provide your timesheet to the kinship caregiver you worked for so they can confirm your work hours. Providers are paid every two weeks; pay is directly deposited. Providers are considered independent contractors and are responsible for all taxes incurred while performing services under this Agreement. FFF will make no state or federal payroll tax, FICA, or unemployment compensation payments and will not obtain workers’ compensation insurance; those are solely your responsibility.
Questions? Email email@example.com or call (301) 246-0149.